Porthcurno Beach is considered to be one of the most beautiful and stunning beaches in Cornwall, UK. Are you ready to explore it? 🙂
Porthcurno Beach, located in the remote west of Cornwall, is a true gem that has won many accolades. Its stunning beauty is defined by its fine white sand, crystal clear turquoise sea, and towering cliffs that provide natural protection.
This popular Cornish beach is perfect for families, with a stream running alongside for children to play in and a unique experience awaits at the Minack Theatre, perched on the cliffs. The theatre, built in the 1920s by visionary Rowena Wade and her dedicated gardener, is an international landmark and open for visitors throughout the year.
What is Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall famous for?
Porthcurno Beach is famous for being a stunningly beautiful beach located in Cornwall, England. With its clear turquoise waters and soft golden sand, surrounded by cliffs, it offers a picturesque setting for visitors to enjoy.
The beach is also of historical significance, as it was the site of the first transatlantic telegraph cable station, and is now home to the Porthcurno Telegraph Museum. With its combination of natural beauty and cultural significance, Porthcurno Beach is a popular tourist destination in Cornwall.
Is Porthcurno Beach sandy?
Yes, Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall, England is a sandy beach. It is known for its golden sand and crystal-clear waters, making it a popular destination for visitors and beachgoers.
The beach is surrounded by cliffs and is a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, and other beach activities. Visitors can also explore the surrounding coastal area, with walks along the South West Coast Path offering stunning views of the coastline and nearby cliffs.
Is Porthcurno Beach family-friendly?
Yes, Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall, England is considered to be family-friendly. The beach is known for its golden sand, crystal-clear waters, and stunning coastal scenery, making it a popular destination for families with children.
There are plenty of activities and attractions to keep both adults and children entertained, including swimming, sunbathing, exploring the surrounding coastal area, and visiting local attractions like the Minack Theatre and the Porthcurno Telegraph Museum. Additionally, the beach is usually well-maintained and has facilities such as toilets, cafes, and parking available, making it a convenient and accessible destination for families.
Where is Porthcurno Beach located?
Porthcurno Beach is located in the county of Cornwall, in the southwest of England. It is situated near the village of Porthcurno and is part of the Penwith Heritage Coast. The beach is about 8 miles from the town of Penzance and is easily accessible by car, bus, or taxi.
Porthcurno Beach postcode
The postcode for Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall, England is TR19 6JX. This postcode can be used for GPS navigation or for finding the location on a map.
Parking at Porthcurno Beach
Parking near Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall, England is available, although the availability and cost of parking can vary depending on the time of year and the demand for parking spaces.
There is a pay-and-display car park located near the beach. Bring some coins as you can’t pay by card – the machine takes coins only!
However, during the peak tourist season, parking may become limited, and visitors may need to park further away from the beach and walk to reach it.
Porthcurno Beach opening hours
Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall, England is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. However, the facilities near the beach, such as cafes, toilets, and parking areas, may have limited hours of operation.
It’s always a good idea to check local information and the opening hours of specific facilities before visiting, especially during the off-season or if inclement weather is expected. Additionally, visitors should always be mindful of the tide times and be aware of any potential safety hazards, such as strong currents or high waves.
Minack Theatre to Porthcurno Beach
The Minack Theatre is located near Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall, England. The beach is just a short drive away, and the journey takes approximately 10-15 minutes by car. Alternatively, the beach can be reached by foot, with a walk of around 20-30 minutes along the coast path. The walk offers stunning views of the coastline and is a popular activity for visitors to the area.
Porthcurno Beach Hotels
There are several hotels near Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall, England that offer accommodation for visitors. Some popular options include:
- The Minack Theatre B&B – Located in a stunning cliff-top setting with views over the beach, this B&B offers comfortable rooms and a delicious breakfast.
- The Tregiffian Farm Bed and Breakfast – A traditional Cornish farmhouse located just a few minutes’ drive from the beach, offering comfortable rooms and a tranquil setting.
- The Rosemorran Guest House – A beautifully restored Victorian house located in the nearby village of Porthcurno, offering comfortable rooms and a warm welcome.
- The Gurnard’s Head Hotel – A stylish and contemporary hotel located in a secluded valley near the beach, offering spacious rooms, delicious food, and a warm welcome.
These are just a few of the many hotels and accommodations available near Porthcurno Beach. Visitors can choose from a range of options to suit their budget, preferences, and needs.
Is Porthcurno Beach easy to access?
Porthcurno Beach is relatively easy to access, but getting there may involve a bit of a walk. If driving, there is a large car park available near the beach, but the walk from the car park to the beach can be steep in places. The beach can also be reached by bus, with the First Kernow bus service stopping at Porthcurno.
The nearest train station is Penzance, which is a bit of a distance away, and visitors can take a bus or taxi to the beach from there. Overall, while Porthcurno Beach is accessible, it may require a bit of effort to get there for some visitors.
Porthcurno Beach high cliffs
Porthcurno Beach is known for its high cliffs, which provide a dramatic backdrop to the beach and add to its natural beauty. The cliffs are part of the South West Coast Path, a long-distance footpath that runs along the coast of South West England, offering stunning views of the coastline and sea.
The cliffs at Porthcurno Beach can be a popular spot for sightseeing, picnicking, and hiking, as well as for rock climbing and abseiling for more adventurous visitors.
How to get to Porthcurno Beach?
Porthcurno Beach is located in Cornwall, England, and can be reached by various modes of transportation:
By Car: If driving from Penzance, take the B3315 road and follow the signs for Porthcurno. There is a large car park available near the beach.
By Bus: The First Kernow bus service operates between Penzance and Lands End, with a stop at Porthcurno.
By Train: The nearest train station is Penzance, from where you can take a bus or taxi to Porthcurno Beach.
By Air: The closest airport is Newquay Cornwall Airport, about 60 miles away. From there, you can rent a car or take a bus or taxi to Porthcurno Beach.
Bus to Porthcurno Beach
Visitors to Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall, England can reach the beach by bus from nearby towns and cities. There are several local bus routes that serve the area, and visitors can check the schedules and route information on the local bus operator’s website or by contacting the local tourist information center.
Depending on your location and mode of transportation, taking the bus to Porthcurno Beach can be a convenient and cost-effective way to reach the beach.
Can you swim at Porthcurno Beach?
Yes, swimming is possible at Porthcurno Beach. The clear turquoise waters and soft golden sand make it a popular destination for swimming and other water activities. However, it is always important to follow beach safety guidelines, especially in the case of strong currents or high waves. It is recommended to check the local conditions and safety advice before going in the water.
Can you swim in Cornwall without a wetsuit?
The water temperature in Cornwall, England can vary greatly depending on the time of year and location. During the summer months, the water temperature can sometimes reach a comfortable level for swimming without a wetsuit. However, even in the summer, the water can still be quite cool, especially on windy days or in certain areas, so a wetsuit may be advisable.
In general, the water temperature in Cornwall is colder than in many other popular beach destinations, and a wetsuit is recommended for swimming, especially during the spring and autumn months. This can provide extra warmth and buoyancy, making it more comfortable and enjoyable to spend time in the water. It is always a good idea to check local weather and water temperature conditions before swimming, and to follow any safety advice or recommendations from local authorities.
Porthcurno Beach weather
The weather at Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall, England can vary greatly depending on the time of year and the prevailing conditions. In general, the area experiences a temperate maritime climate, with warm summers and mild winters.
Average temperatures in the summer months can range from around 15-20°C, while winter temperatures can average around 7-10°C. Rainfall is common throughout the year, and visitors should be prepared for all types of weather, especially during the winter months. It is always a good idea to check the local weather forecast and to bring appropriate clothing and protection for any conditions.
Porthcurno Beach tide times
The tide times for Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall, England can vary depending on the time of year and the phase of the moon. Tide times can be found through various websites or local information sources, and it is always a good idea to check the tide times before visiting the beach.
This is especially important for visitors who plan to swim or engage in water activities, as the tide can have a significant impact on the conditions and safety of the beach. High tide can cause the beach to be covered by water, while low tide can expose large areas of sand and rock pools, making it easier to explore the coastline. It is always a good idea to be aware of the tide conditions and to exercise caution when visiting the beach.
Porthchapel Beach from Porthcurno Beach
Porthchapel Beach is a beach located near Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall, England. To reach Porthchapel Beach from Porthcurno Beach, visitors can walk along the coastal path, which connects the two beaches. The walk takes about 20-30 minutes and offers stunning views of the coastline. Visitors should be mindful of the tide times and be aware of any potential safety hazards, such as strong currents or high waves.
Porthcurno Beach dogs
Dogs are allowed on Porthcurno Beach in Cornwall, England, but there may be seasonal restrictions or designated dog-friendly areas. When we visited Porthcurno Beach dogs were allowed to enter the beach after 6 pm.
It is always a good idea to check local regulations and guidelines before visiting the beach with a dog. Additionally, it is important to follow responsible dog ownership guidelines, such as keeping dogs on a lead, cleaning up after them, and respecting other beachgoers and wildlife. Some nearby beaches may have restrictions on dogs, so it is worth checking before visiting.
Porthcurno Beach tourist information
Porthcurno Beach is a beautiful sandy beach located in Cornwall, England, and is a popular tourist destination. Here is some tourist information about Porthcurno Beach:
- Location: Porthcurno Beach is located on the south coast of Cornwall, near the village of Porthcurno.
- Beach: Porthcurno Beach is a long, sandy beach with crystal-clear waters. The beach is backed by cliffs and is surrounded by lush greenery.
- Surfing: Porthcurno Beach is a popular destination for surfers, and there are several surf schools offering lessons and rental equipment.
- Walks and Hikes: The coast and countryside surrounding Porthcurno Beach offer many opportunities for walking and hiking, with several coastal paths and trails to explore.
- Accommodation: Porthcurno is surrounded by several villages offering accommodation options, including hotels, bed and breakfasts, and self-catering cottages.
- Food and Drink: There are several pubs, cafes, and restaurants offering local cuisine in the nearby villages.
- Attractions: The nearby Minack Theatre is a unique outdoor amphitheater built into the cliffs and is a popular tourist attraction. The museum at Porthcurno Telegraph Museum, which tells the story of global communication, is also worth visiting.
Best things to do near Porthcurno Beach
- Visit the Minack Theatre: A world-famous open-air theatre carved into the cliffs above Porthcurno Beach.
- Explore the Porthcurno Telegraph Museum: Learn about the history of telecommunications and the role that Porthcurno played in connecting the world.
- Walk along the South West Coast Path: Enjoy stunning coastal views and explore the local area on foot.
- Visit the Logan Rock: A famous tidal island just off the coast of Porthcurno, accessible at low tide.
- Explore the Treen Cliff and the Bedruthan Steps: Marvel at the breathtaking beauty of the Treen cliffs and the famous Bedruthan Steps.
- Visit Land’s End: A famous landmark and visitor attraction located a short drive from Porthcurno Beach.
- Visit St Michael’s Mount: A picturesque island and castle accessible at low tide or by boat.
- Take a boat tour: Explore the local coastline and see the sights from the water.
- Visit the Penzance Promenade: Take a stroll along the seafront in the nearby town of Penzance.
- Visit the Sennen Cove Surf School: Learn to surf or try your hand at other water sports with a visit to the local surf school.
Is Porthcurno worth visiting?
Yes, 100%! many people consider it to be a beautiful and unique beach that is worth a visit due to its clear turquoise waters, soft golden sand, and stunning cliff-lined setting. In addition, its historical significance as the site of the first transatlantic telegraph cable station makes it a culturally interesting destination for many visitors.
Porthcurno Beach may be worth visiting for those interested in natural beauty, cultural history, or outdoor recreation. One of the best places to visit in Cornwall!
Best places near Porthcurno Beach to visit
Porthcurno Beach is a stunning sandy beach located in Cornwall, England, and there are many nearby attractions that are definitely worth a visit. Here are 10 of the best places to check out:
- The Minack Theatre: This open-air theater is carved into the cliffs and offers panoramic views of the ocean.
- St Ives: This charming seaside town is famous for its beaches, galleries, and seafood restaurants.
- Tintagel Castle: This legendary castle is said to be the birthplace of King Arthur and offers breathtaking coastal views and historic ruins.
- The Eden Project: This unique attraction showcases the relationship between plants, people, and the planet.
- Padstow: This fishing port is famous for its seafood and has a charming harbor, great restaurants, and interesting shops.
- The Lost Gardens of Heligan: This is a restored garden set within a 200-acre estate and is home to a variety of plants and wildlife.
- Land’s End: This is the westernmost point of mainland Britain and offers breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Sennen Cove: This is a small fishing village with a beautiful beach, great surfing and a vibrant community.
- Newquay: This is a lively surf town that is home to several great beaches, lively bars, and surf schools.
- Kynance Cove: This is a stunning cove with crystal clear waters and white sand beaches, and is a great place for swimming, sunbathing and snorkeling.
These are just a few of the many great places near Porthcurno Beach that are well worth a visit.