Jezero Jasna, located near Kranjska Gora, is the name of two interconnected artificial lakes. Known as a popular hiking pit stop is a must-visit location along the road to the Vršič Pass.
Nestled in the heart of Triglav National Park, Lake Jasna is a true gem that captivates visitors with its breathtaking natural beauty. The lake is made up of two interconnected artificial lakes, Mala and Velika Pišnica, that sparkle under the bright blue skies and reflect the towering mountain peaks that surround them. The views are nothing short of magical, and it’s no wonder that Lake Jasna is considered one of Slovenia’s most beautiful destinations.
For those seeking adventure and relaxation, Lake Jasna is a dream come true. Whether you’re looking to cool off with a refreshing swim in the crystal-clear waters or simply soak up the sun on the tranquil shores, this picturesque lake offers a peaceful and rejuvenating escape from the hustle and bustle of daily life. Additionally, the lake provides a serene setting for picnicking, fishing, or taking a leisurely stroll around its banks.
But that’s not all – Lake Jasna has even more to offer! In addition to its natural beauty, the lake features a charming little library where visitors can borrow books and enjoy a good read in the company of the stunning mountain views. It’s these little touches that make Lake Jasna such a special and unforgettable destination.
Lake Jasna is a true paradise that should be on every traveler’s bucket list. Its pristine waters, stunning scenery, and tranquil ambiance are sure to leave you feeling refreshed, rejuvenated, and inspired. So don’t miss out on the magic of Lake Jasna – it’s an experience you’ll cherish forever.
Visiting Lake Jasna – car hire
We have rented cars many times during holidays in Europe and we always used discovercars.com
Check out our guide to the best car hire company in Slovenia or simply explore the options directly on discovercars.com if you need a car during your next holiday in Slovenia.
Where is Lake Jasna located?
Lake Jasna is located in Slovenia, in the Julian Alps, near the town of Kranjska Gora. It is a glacial lake that is known for its crystal-clear waters and stunning mountain scenery. The lake is a popular tourist destination, especially in the summer months when visitors can swim, sunbathe, and enjoy various water sports. In the winter, the lake and surrounding area become a popular skiing destination.
Lake Jasna facts
|Near Kranjska Gora
|Best time to visit:
|All year round
How do I get to Lake Jasna from Bled?
The distance between Bled and Lake Jasna is about 40 km, and there are several ways to get there. Here are some options:
- By car: The most convenient way to get to Lake Jasna from Bled is by car. The journey takes about 45 minutes, and you can take the E61 highway towards Jesenice and then follow the signs to Kranjska Gora. From there, it’s just a short drive to Lake Jasna.
- By bus: There is a direct bus service from Bled to Kranjska Gora, which is the nearest town to Lake Jasna. The journey takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes, and the buses run several times a day. From Kranjska Gora, you can either walk or take a taxi to Lake Jasna.
Where to stay near Lake Jasna?
There are several accommodation options available for visitors who wish to stay near Lake Jasna. Some of the popular choices include:
- Hotel Miklič: Located just a few minutes’ walk from Lake Jasna, this family-run hotel offers comfortable rooms, a restaurant serving traditional Slovenian cuisine, and a terrace with stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Hotel Kompas: This modern hotel is situated in the center of Krnjska Gora, just a short drive from Lake Jasna. It features spacious rooms, a wellness center, and a restaurant offering a range of local and international dishes.
- Apartments Vitranc: These self-catering apartments are located in the heart of Krnjska Gora, just a short walk from Lake Jasna. They offer comfortable accommodations, a fully-equipped kitchenette, and a balcony with beautiful views of the surrounding mountains.
- Hotel Larix: This elegant hotel is situated just a few minutes’ walk from the center of Krnjska Gora and offers comfortable rooms, a spa center, and a restaurant serving delicious local cuisine.
- Guesthouse Pri Martinu: This charming guesthouse is located in the nearby village of Podkoren, just a short drive from Lake Jasna. It features cozy rooms with traditional wooden furnishings, a restaurant serving homemade Slovenian dishes, and a lovely garden.
These are just a few of the many options available for visitors who wish to stay near Lake Jasna. Whether you prefer a hotel, apartment, or guesthouse, there is something to suit every taste and budget in this beautiful region of Slovenia.
The Zlatorog statue at Lake Jasna is a fascinating and significant feature of this stunning destination. Zlatorog, also known as the Goldenhorn, is a legendary creature in Slovenian mythology, said to live in the Triglav Mountains that surround the lake.
The statue itself is an impressive bronze sculpture that stands tall and proud, depicting the mythical creature with its golden horns, noble stature, and powerful presence. It’s a beautiful work of art that perfectly captures the essence of this legendary figure and adds an element of mystery and magic to the already enchanting landscape of Lake Jasna.
According to the legend, Zlatorog was the protector of the mountains and was revered by the local people. The creature possessed magical powers, including the ability to heal the sick and injured, and was said to guard a treasure deep within the mountains.
Visitors to Lake Jasna can admire the statue, take photos, and even leave offerings or tokens of respect for the legendary creature. It’s a unique and fascinating element of the lake’s history and mythology that adds to the overall charm and allure of this breathtaking destination.
So if you’re planning a visit to Lake Jasna, don’t miss the opportunity to see the Zlatorog statue and learn more about the fascinating legend behind this magical creature.
Walking around Lake Jasna
Walking around Lake Jasna is a delightful experience that allows visitors to fully immerse themselves in the natural beauty of this stunning destination. The trail around the lake is approximately 1.5 kilometers long and offers breathtaking views of the crystal-clear waters and surrounding mountains at every turn.
As you walk, you’ll be surrounded by the tranquility and peace that only nature can provide. The soft sound of the water lapping at the shore and the gentle rustle of the leaves in the trees creates a calming ambiance that will soothe your soul and ease your mind.
Along the way, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore some of the interesting features of the lake, such as the charming little library where you can borrow books and enjoy a good read in the midst of this stunning landscape.
Can you swim in Lake Jasna?
Yes, you can swim in Lake Jasna. The lake has crystal-clear waters and is surrounded by stunning mountain scenery, making it a popular destination for swimming, sunbathing, and other water activities in the summer months. However, please note that the water in the lake can be quite cold even during the summer, so it’s important to be prepared and wear appropriate clothing. Additionally, swimming in the lake is only allowed in designated areas and it’s important to follow the rules and regulations to ensure the safety of all visitors.
Lake Jasna cafe
There are several cafes located near Lake Jasna, where you can relax and enjoy a drink or a snack while taking in the stunning views. Some popular options include:
- Cafe Alpina: Located on the shores of Lake Jasna, this cafe offers a wide range of hot and cold drinks, as well as snacks, sandwiches, and pastries.
- Gostilna Pri Martinu: This traditional Slovenian restaurant is located just a short walk from Lake Jasna and serves a range of local dishes and drinks.
- Cafe & Restaurant Kotnik: This restaurant is located in the nearby town of Kranjska Gora and offers a variety of dishes and drinks, including traditional Slovenian cuisine.
- Hotel Miklic: This hotel has a cafe and restaurant that serves a variety of dishes and drinks, as well as a terrace with stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Cafe Kopa: Located near the Planica Nordic Centre, this cafe serves a range of hot and cold drinks, as well as sandwiches, pastries, and ice cream.
Which is better Lake Jana or Lake Bohinj?
Both Lake Jasna and Lake Bohinj are stunning natural attractions in Slovenia that offer different experiences for visitors.
Lake Jasna is a smaller, man-made lake located near the town of Kranjska Gora. It is surrounded by the majestic Julian Alps and offers beautiful views of the mountains. The lake is popular for swimming, sunbathing, and walking around its shores. There are also cafes and restaurants nearby where visitors can enjoy a drink or a meal while taking in the scenery.
Lake Bohinj, on the other hand, is a larger, natural lake located in the heart of the Triglav National Park. It is surrounded by lush forests and the towering peaks of the Julian Alps. The lake is ideal for swimming, kayaking, and hiking, and there are many trails and paths around the lake and in the surrounding mountains. Visitors can also take a cable car up to the Vogel ski resort for panoramic views of the lake and the surrounding area.
Both Lake Jasna and Lake Bohinj are worth visiting and offer unique experiences. If you prefer a smaller, more intimate lake with easy access and a range of facilities, Lake Jasna is a great option. If you prefer a larger, more natural lake with a wide range of outdoor activities, then Lake Bohinj is the better choice. Ultimately, the decision depends on your personal preferences and interests.
How do I spend a day in Lake Jasna?
There are many ways to spend a day at Lake Jasna, depending on your interests and preferences. Here are some suggestions to help you plan your visit:
- Enjoy the scenic views: Lake Jasna is surrounded by beautiful mountains that offer stunning views from every angle. Take a leisurely stroll around the lake and enjoy the scenery or find a spot to sit and relax while taking in the view.
- Take a swim: On a warm day, take a refreshing dip in the crystal clear waters of Lake Jasna. The water is cool and invigorating, and there are several designated swimming areas around the lake.
- Rent a paddleboat: Rent a paddleboat and explore the lake at your own pace. It’s a fun and relaxing way to take in the views and get some exercise.
- Have a picnic: Pack a picnic lunch and find a peaceful spot by the lake to enjoy your meal. There are several picnic areas around the lake, so you can take your pick.
- Go fishing: Lake Jasna is home to several species of fish, including trout and grayling. Bring your fishing gear and try your luck at catching some fish.
- Visit the Zlatorog statue: Take a walk to the Zlatorog statue, which is a tribute to the legendary Goldenhorn creature of Slovenian mythology. It’s a unique and fascinating feature of Lake Jasna.
- Explore the surrounding area: Lake Jasna is located in the Triglav National Park, so there are plenty of hiking trails and other outdoor activities in the area. Take a guided tour of the park or explore on your own.
These are just a few ideas for how to spend a day at Lake Jasna. With its stunning scenery and variety of activities, it’s a must-visit destination in Slovenia.
Lake Jasna history
Lake Jasna is a relatively young lake, as it was created in the early 20th century. Before that, the area was a natural valley with a small stream running through it. The construction of the lake was part of a larger hydroelectric project, which aimed to generate electricity for the local community.
The two interconnected lakes of Lake Jasna were formed by damming the Mala and Velika Pišnica streams. The construction of the lake was completed in 1905, and it quickly became a popular destination for tourists and locals alike.
During World War II, Lake Jasna was a strategically important location, and it was heavily guarded by the German army. After the war, the lake regained its peaceful character, and it continued to attract visitors from all over the world.
Today, Lake Jasna is a popular tourist destination, and it is known for its crystal-clear waters and stunning mountain views. It is also a favorite spot for fishing, swimming, and other outdoor activities. The area around the lake has been developed to provide visitors with all the necessary amenities, including restaurants, hotels, and shops. Despite its modern facilities, Lake Jasna still retains its natural beauty and charm, and it continues to be a beloved destination for travelers from all walks of life.
What famous film was filmed in Lake Jasna?
Lake Jasna was used as one of the filming locations for the 2013 Hollywood film “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair”. The lake and its surrounding areas served as the backdrop for the scenes set in the magical world of Narnia. The film is based on the popular book series by C.S. Lewis and follows the adventures of a group of children in a magical world full of talking animals, witches, and other mystical creatures.
What amenities are around Lake Jasna?
Lake Jasna has a variety of amenities and facilities that cater to visitors’ needs, including:
- Cafes and restaurants: There are several cafes and restaurants located around the lake where visitors can enjoy a meal or a drink while taking in the beautiful scenery.
- Beach areas: There are several designated beach areas around the lake where visitors can swim, sunbathe, and relax.
- Walkways and trails: There are several walking paths and trails that wind around the lake, providing scenic views of the surrounding mountains.
- Fishing: Lake Jasna is a popular fishing spot, and visitors can purchase fishing permits from local vendors.
- Sports facilities: Visitors can rent bicycles, kayaks, and paddle boats to explore the lake and surrounding areas. There is also a mini-golf course and a volleyball court.
- Accommodation: There are several hotels and guesthouses located near the lake that provide comfortable accommodation for visitors.
- Information center: There is an information center near the lake that provides information about the area, as well as maps and guides.
These amenities and facilities make Lake Jasna a popular destination for tourists and locals alike, offering something for everyone to enjoy.
Best places near Lake Jasna to visit
Here are the best places near Lake Jasna that you might want to visit:
- Vršič Pass: This mountain pass is one of the most scenic drives in Slovenia, offering stunning views of the Julian Alps.
- Zelenci Nature Reserve: This beautiful nature reserve features a crystal-clear emerald green lake, wetlands, and walking trails.
- Planica Nordic Centre: A popular skiing destination with world-class facilities and scenic views.
- Kranjska Gora: A charming alpine town that is a popular destination for skiing, hiking, and other outdoor activities.
- Mangart Pass: A scenic mountain pass that is popular with hikers, bikers, and drivers alike.
- Lake Bled: A picturesque lake with a castle, an island, and stunning mountain views. It is about an hour’s drive away from Lake Jasna.
- Vintgar Gorge: A beautiful natural attraction with a wooden boardwalk that winds along the river and through the gorge. It is about a 45-minute drive from Lake Jasna.
Jasna Lake FAQ
Lake Jasna, situated near Kranjska Gora, offers activities such as swimming, paddleboarding, and picnicking amidst picturesque alpine scenery. Additionally, there are viewpoints, cafes, and sculptural installations around the lake for visitors to enjoy.
Lake Jasna’s water temperature varies with the seasons, typically being cool to cold due to its alpine location. During summer months, it can become pleasantly refreshing for swimming, though still brisk.
Lake Jasna is a popular spot for anglers, providing opportunities to catch various fish species, especially trout. Always ensure you have the appropriate fishing permits and follow local regulations.
While there isn’t a dedicated campsite directly on Lake Jasna’s shores, there are nearby camping areas and accommodations in Kranjska Gora. Ensure you respect local land usage rules and always camp in designated areas.
The area around Lake Jasna boasts several scenic hiking trails, taking you through alpine meadows, forests, and offering panoramic views of the Julian Alps. Whether you’re after a gentle lakeside stroll or a more challenging ascent, the region offers suitable options.
There are designated parking areas around Lake Jasna, but during peak seasons, they can fill up quickly. It’s advisable to arrive early, especially in summer, to secure a spot and avoid potential parking fees.
Is Lake Jasna worth visiting?
Yes, Lake Jasna is definitely worth visiting. It is a beautiful alpine lake located in the Triglav National Park, surrounded by stunning mountain scenery. The clear blue waters of the lake are particularly mesmerizing, and the reflections of the mountains in the water make for a picturesque view.
The area around the lake has been developed to provide visitors with plenty of recreational activities, such as swimming, fishing, hiking, and picnicking. There are also plenty of cafes, restaurants, and shops in the nearby town of Kranjska Gora. Overall, Lake Jasna is a great destination for those seeking to spend time in nature and enjoy the peacefulness and beauty of the Slovenian Alps.