Without a doubt, the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan is one of the best-hidden gems you can see in Slovenia. The location is just stunning!
The Church of St. Primož and Felicijan is a Catholic church located in the town of Jamnik, Slovenia. It is known for its distinctive twin bell towers and its stunning hilltop location overlooking the surrounding countryside.
The church was built in the early 16th century and was initially dedicated to St. Primož, an early Christian martyr. Later, the church was also dedicated to St. Felicijan, a Roman soldier who was martyred for his Christian faith.
The church has undergone several renovations over the years, including a major renovation in the 19th century. Today, it is a popular destination for visitors to Slovenia, who come to admire its beautiful architecture and stunning views.
The Church of St. Primož and Felicijan is considered a cultural monument of national significance in Slovenia and is a must-see for anyone interested in the country’s rich history and heritage.
How to get to the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan?
The Church of St. Primož and Felicijan is located in the northwestern part of Slovenia, not far from Lake Bled. Here are some ways to get there:
- By car: The most convenient way to get to the church is by car. There is a small parking lot near the church, so you can park your car there and walk the rest of the way up the hill.
- By public transportation: There is no direct public transportation to the church, but you can take a bus from Ljubljana or Kranj to the town of Tržič, which is about 9 km away from Jamnik. From there, you can take a taxi or hike up to the church.
- By hiking: There are several hiking trails that lead up to the church, including a popular trail that starts in the town of Kropa and takes about 2-3 hours to reach the top. This is a great way to experience the beautiful Slovenian countryside and get some exercise at the same time.
Regardless of how you choose to get there, the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan is definitely worth the trip. The stunning views and beautiful architecture make it a must-see destination for anyone visiting Slovenia.
Visiting Church of St. Primož – car hire
We have rented cars many times during holidays in Europe and we always used discovercars.com
Check out our guide to the best car hire company in Slovenia or simply explore the options directly on discovercars.com if you need a car during your next holiday in Slovenia.
How far from Lake Bled is the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan?
The Church of St. Primož and Felicijan is located approximately 33 kilometers (20.5 miles) northwest of Lake Bled. It takes about 40 minutes to 1 hour to drive between the two destinations, depending on traffic and road conditions.
While they are not very close to each other, it is possible to visit both Lake Bled and the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan in the same day, especially if you have a car. Both destinations offer unique and stunning views of the Slovenian landscape and are well worth a visit.
The Church of St. Primož and Felicijan facts
Looking for some interesting facts about the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan? We have a few for you:
- The church is located at an altitude of 831 meters, on a hilltop overlooking the town of Jamnik in Slovenia.
- The church was built in the early 16th century, and it is one of the most beautiful examples of Gothic architecture in Slovenia.
- The church has two bell towers, which are the most distinctive feature of its architecture. The taller tower measures 33 meters in height, while the shorter tower is 27 meters tall.
- The church was originally dedicated to St. Primož, an early Christian martyr who was beheaded in Rome in the 3rd century. Later, it was also dedicated to St. Felicijan, a Roman soldier who was martyred for his Christian faith.
- The interior of the church is decorated with frescoes, paintings, and sculptures that date back to the 17th and 18th centuries. The altarpiece, which depicts St. Primož and Felicijan, was painted by the Slovenian artist Franc Jelovšek in the mid-18th century.
- The Church of St. Primož and Felicijan is considered a cultural monument of national significance in Slovenia and is protected by the country’s government.
- The church is a popular destination for tourists and pilgrims, who come to admire its beautiful architecture and stunning hilltop location.
- Every year, on the first Sunday in July, a mass is held at the church to celebrate the feast day of St. Primož and Felicijan. This mass is attended by hundreds of people from all over Slovenia.
These are just a few of the interesting facts about the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan. Its rich history and beautiful architecture make it a fascinating destination for anyone interested in Slovenian culture and heritage.
Is the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan one of the most stunning churches in Europe?
While opinions on the beauty of churches can vary, the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan is certainly considered one of the most stunning and picturesque churches in Slovenia. Its hilltop location and Gothic architecture make it a popular destination for tourists and photographers, and it has been recognized as a cultural monument of national significance by the Slovenian government.
However, it’s difficult to say whether it ranks among the most stunning churches in Europe as there are so many incredible churches throughout the continent with their own unique styles and features. Nonetheless, the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan is certainly a gem of Slovenian architecture and a must-see destination for anyone visiting the country.
Church of St. Primož and Felicijan FAQ
Slovenia is home to over 2,000 churches, varying in size and historical significance.
Slovenia boasts several beautiful churches, and two notable examples are the Church of the Assumption of Mary in Bled, known for its picturesque setting on an island in Lake Bled, and the St. Nicholas’s Church in Ljubljana, renowned for its stunning Baroque architecture and ornate interior.
Is the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan worth visiting?
Yes, the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan is definitely worth visiting. Its stunning hilltop location, beautiful Gothic architecture, and rich history make it one of the most popular tourist attractions in Slovenia.
The church offers breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside, which makes it a perfect destination for nature lovers and photographers. Its twin bell towers and intricate carvings and frescoes inside the church are also a sight to behold.
In addition, the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan has great cultural and historical significance in Slovenia. It is considered a cultural monument of national significance and is a symbol of the country’s deep Christian roots.
Whether you are interested in architecture, history, or simply looking for a peaceful place to reflect, the Church of St. Primož and Felicijan is definitely worth a visit.